Monday, August 25, 2003

Realjukebox Blues

I think my computer is in serious need of some maintenance, as well as some more memory. If I have another weekend with it like this past weekend, though, maintenance will be the least of the machine’s problems.

Lately, since I had to switch back to dialup, the computer’s been acting funny. Maybe it feels that dialup is beneath it, I don’t know. It seizes up really easy, resulting in many frustrating reboots of varying methods (the start menu, the reset button, my foot, etc.).

In addtion to the computers own problems, I recently decided to switch from Realjukebox over to WinAmp via a short dalliance with Musicmatch’s jukebox. I downloaded WinAmp & was pleased with the ease of use & the fact that it sounded better than RJB. The only problem was that it would crash if I tried to listen to it while online. & when I say crash, I mean crashing so bad that it refused to come back up until I rebooted the system. & when it did, all of the music files that I uploaded to it were wiped out. Musicmatch was just a pain to use. Not user-friendly in the least. So, I grudgingly went back to using RJB, which responded like a woman who had been wronged. It would play & then lock up the computer. It refused (& still does) to copy any songs on a disc beyond track 10 (& before any of you RIAA goons who may stumble across this site get any ideas, these were discs that I own & that aren’t going any further than my machine). All in all, very aggravating. So, like a man trying to make up for some marital indiscretion by buying flowers or jewelry, I set about removing the offending jukeboxes from the computer, trying to make RJB happy. This still resulted in many exchanges much like the following:

Me: * insert CD, choose tracks, record *
RJB: Track 1, Recording 10% complete, 50% complete, 100%, recorded
Me: Good
RJB: Track 7, Recording 10% complete, 50% complete, 100%, recorded
Me: Excellent
RJB: Track 15, Recording 1% complete…RJB can’t read your disc. Please make sure your settings are correct.
Me: Sigh... * clicks record again *
RJB: Track 15, Recording 1% complete…RJB can’t read your disc. Please make sure your settings are correct.
Me: Grrr…* clicks record again *
RJB: You think I’m going to record your disc after you ran around with that harlot WinAmp? You’ve got another thing coming.
Me: Grrrrrrrrrrrr…* clicks record again while trying to stifle back a few choice words *
RJB: Not to mention that tramp Musicmatch. Let’s see how you like this - * system locks up *
Me: ARRRRRRRGH!!! Dirty words!!! Dirty words!!!

Afterward, I’d turn off the machine & walk away. Then, as if I was being challenged, I’d run back, fire the computer up & try again. Which resulted again in the above exchange & the added bonus of me having a mini breakdown. Finally, RJB decided that I’d had enough & started to cooperate. I think I’m still going to be sleeping on the virtual couch for a bit, but RJB & I should be kissing & making up soon.

I just hope it doesn’t find out about Windows Media Player.