Monday, June 23, 2003

A mini review before I head off to Dreamland.

A triple feature at the McDowell Uno-Plex: Gladiator, Blazing Saddles & Monty Python's Flying Circus, Vol. 1.

Gladiator (minor spoiler alert)- Lotsa heads & blood flying all over the place. I really wanted Crowe to kick the crap out of Joaquin Phoenix's character. Was glad when he did. The opening reminded me of any given Sergio Leone movie, but I like those, so it worked for me. Some of the special effects, however, were less than special. But the bloodshed more than made up for it. I will admit to liking "The 13th Warrior" a bit better though.

Blazing Saddles - the campfire scene. Need I say more?

Monty Python - Typical fun with cross-dressing Englishmen. The "Identifying Trees From Very Far Away" was good. "The Worlds Deadliest Joke" & the interview in which John Cleese keeps calling the interviewee "Sugar Plum" & "Angel Drawers" are crack-ups. There's about 50 billion Flying Circus discs on Netflix, so I will have no shortage of people yelling "Strewth!" (whatever that means) & Terry Gilliam talking in a high-pitched woman's voice. Thank goodness for subtitles.

All in all, a good viewing at the McDowell Uno-Plex.

Gladiator - 7 Eyeballs

Blazing Saddles - 10 Eyeballs

Monty Python - 8 Eyeballs