Thursday, April 01, 2004

Musica

I found this over at Chris's site & decided to take a whack at it. The idea is to pick the first song that relates to each of the following. Here we go...

Reminds you of your youth...Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band I used to belt this one out at the top of my lungs, thinking it was about an afternoon romp & not knowing what it was really about: lunch.

Gives you the chills...Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Stevie Ray Vaughan Quite possibly the best redo of a Jimi Hendrix song. Stevie made that guitar scream! I never had the pleasure of seeing him in concert, but I did get to catch him on Austin City Limits. He shredded so hard on this song that he broke a string & kept on playing. The roadie brought out another guitar & Stevie switched them out without missing a lick.

Makes you want to bang your head...80's speed metal, punk, grunge

OK, those aren't songs.

Get over it.

Oh, alright, I'll give you a few examples: Into the Lungs of Hell/Set the World Afire - Megadeth Actually, all of So Far, So Good...So What? ripped your face off with it's speed & the bombastic assault of Dave Mustaine's snarl, Dave Ellefson's bass & the only appearances of Jeff Young on guitar & Chuck Behler on drums. It blew Metallica out of the water (sorry guys). But the first two tracks are my personal favorites from the album.

Punk? Hands down, The Ramones first album. My best friend in high school turned me on to The Ramones & they were favorites of the band that I was in for a time (What can I say? Their songs were easy to learn.) The only song that lags a bit is I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend, only because it suddenly slows the album down. Before & after that? Pure punk ecstacy.

And last but not least, grunge. Lessee...Nevermind - Nirvana, of course (another favorite of the band); Dirt - Alice In Chains...Dark, dirty &...well...grungy. Would? is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard.

Honorable mentions: The Audience Is Listening - Steve Vai; Ace of Spades & The One To Sing the Blues - Motorhead; Hit the Lights - Metallica (I never said I didn't like 'em...I just like Megadeth better)

You wish you knew the lyrics to...Up the Beach - Jane's Addiction If anyone knows the words, let me know.

Makes you so upset you turn it off...Teenie pop crapola & most rap (I can take some late 80's, but that's about it).

Was/is 'your song' with someone else...Songbird & Anniversary Song - Eva Cassidy, Come Away With Me - Nora Jones...Not really "our songs," but T turned me on to both artists & these three songs remind me of her when I hear them.

*Note - Songbird will be making an appearance in the wedding. It's just that good, people.

Makes you want to dance...Paradise By the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf Does his wife just call him "Meat?"

Helps you heal after a breakup...Pretty Hate Machine - Nine Inch Nails Oh yeah, this tape got a lot of mileage in the 90's.

Your parents made you listen to...My parents didn't make me listen to anything, although there was an abundance of Neil Diamond & Lou Rawls around the house. More often than not, though, my sister & I commandeered the radio as soon as we'd get into the car, so Mom didn't have much of a chance to pop in any of her tunes.

Ignites a specific memory...I couldn't really narrow that down to any one song. I attach music to my memories, what I was listening to when something happend or what kind of music was out during certain periods in my life. I guess that's why I don't like to share music with others too much; music is a very personal thing to me.

You've dedicated to someone...I don't think I've ever done that before.

You identify with...Sex Machine - James Brown Why are you laughing? Stop that!