Wednesday, July 02, 2003

The country seems to be much smaller but oh so much bigger all at the same time lately. *sigh *

On a less cryptic tangent, my 'net service died on me earlier today. Why this can't happen at work, I don't know. I have a cable modem & as I was dinking about on the computer, I saw the cable TV flicker in & out. This apparently caused the modem to have a siezure, resulting in a wee little bit of service interruption & blinking lights on the modem. After calling the cable company to verify that I hadn't been switched off or that someone hadn't tripped over the cable going directly to my apartment, I was told that I'd have to call tech support, which I had to do after I got home. I got home, praying that the modem would be miraculously healed (hey, He listens to every prayer - figured I may as well give it a try). Alas, my poor modem was still in a coma, lights blinking like a heart monitor. I called tech support & followed their instructions - turn off the computer...disconnect the modem...wait 30 seconds...lather, rinse, repeat. Nothing worked. Mr. Tech Support then said that a technician would have to be sent out to check out the modem. As is usual for any kind of in-house cable service, the only hours available were from 10a-noon. Is this the only time that cable technicians are allowed to go out on service calls? Are they really that busy during the rest of the day? The only time that was available that wouldn't result in me losing valuable sleep time at work was next Saturday, 1p-3p. So, wanting to take any time that I could get my hands on, I reluctantly accepted that time. I resigned myself to the fact that I'd be without serivce for over a week, comforted only by the thought that I would be credited for the downtime. After settling in for a game of Civilization & plotting out my conquest of the French, I looked down at my modem, who returned my glance with a greenlit, steady smile - the modem was healed! Much dancing & heaps of thank you's to the Man Upstairs ensued.

& thus, you have this little tale.

I really need to get out more.