Saturday, September 03, 2005

And If They Jumped Off A Cliff?

I saw this over at ETS' & Amy's places, & they found it over at The Pete's site, so I figured "Why not?"

Here are the original instructions:

1. Go to musicoutfitters.com

2. Enter the year you graduated from high school in the search function and get the list of 100 most popular songs of that year

3. Bold the songs you like, strike through the ones you hate and underline your favorite. Do nothing to the ones you don't remember (or don't care about).


As you'll see, I modified the directions a bit. Instead of the bolding/underlining/striking out bit, I gave my comments about the songs in question (bolding/underlining/striking out just doesn't give you much flexibility). I guess it doesn't really tell much if I liked the song or not (although, some are pretty obvious). But, I had fun flipping through the playlist of my senior year, so, it's not all bad.

Anywho, here we go:

1. Look Away, Chicago - Peter Cetera left & they were never the same.

2. My Perogative, Bobby Brown - I was a raging metalhead in the 80's, but I could still appreciate a catchy dance song.

3. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison
- One of the literally thousands of ballads to come out after Gn'R made it fashionable with "Patience"; also, the genesis for one of the funniest lines in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey.

4. Straight Up, Paula Abdul - I was a raging metalhead in the 80's, but I could still appreciate a catchy dance song. Nonetheless, this song annoyed the crap out of me.

5. Miss You Much, Janet Jackson - That's Ms. Jackson if your nasty (I know, different song, but I never pass up an opprtunity to use that line).

6. Cold Hearted, Paula Abdul - See #4, but omit the "catchy dance song" part.

7. Wind Beneath My Wings, Bette Midler - The lyrical equivalent of diabetic shock.

8. Girl You Know Its True, Milli Vanilli - Apparently, it wasn't true.

9. Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird, Will To Power - So, at what point did mixing a Frampton song with a Skynyrd song sound like a good idea?

10. Giving You The Best That I Got, Anita Baker - Apparently, she didn't give me the best she had because I don't remember this one.

11. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx - The first man to mix a 'fro with a mullet (the 'frullet!). Frightening.

12. Waiting For A Star To Fall, Boy Meets Girl - Never heard this one.

13. Lost In Your Eyes, Debbie Gibson - Ugh...see #7.

14. Don't Wanna Lose You, Gloria Estefan - Could you at least try?

15. Heaven, Warrant - Another schmaltzy metal ballad. Not as bad as some.

16. Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Milli Vanilli
- I'm not gonna miss you, Milli Vanilli.

17. The Look, Roxette - Crumbs...can we please ban future Swedish import bands?

18. She Drives Me Crazy, Fine Young Cannibals - I really liked this one. Just quirky enough to suit my tastes.

19. On Our Own, Bobby Brown - Haven't heard this one, either.

20. Two Hearts, Phil Collins - Man, Phil - what happened to you?

21. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli - Wow...'89 was a sucky year for music.

22. Listen To Your Heart, Roxette - Listen to me - don't encourage any more Swedish pop bands.

23. I'll Be There For You, Bon Jovi - A great song from a band that knew how to put out fun music.

24. If You Don't Know Me By Now, Simply Red - Mick Hucknail gave me the willies.

25. Like A Prayer, Madonna - So did Madonna.

26. I'll Be Loving You (Forever), New Kids On The Block - Gag!

27. How Can I Fall?, Breathe - Easy. Step one - trip. Let gravity do the rest.

28. Baby Don't Forget My Number, Milli Vanilli - Geez, they put out a lot of crap in a short time.

29. Toy Solider, Martika - I remember hearing of the song, but I don't think I ever actually heard it.

30. Forever Your Girl, Paula Abdul - Please. Shoot me. Now.

31. The Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics - Whereas Phil Collins was putting out dreck like #20, Mike Rutherford of Genesis actually put out some great songs with his side project.

32. Eternal Flame, The Bangles - I liked the Bangles (Susanna Hoffs was certainly easy on the eyes), but I was sick of this song about five minutes after it came out.

33. Wild Thing, Tone Loc - I was insensed when I heard Jamie's Cryin' by Van Halen being sampled. Eventually, though, the song grew on me.

34. When I See You Smile, Bad English - Bad English = Bad Idea.

35. If I Could Turn Back Time, Cher - If I could turn back time, I pummel whomever thought putting Cher in a thong was a good idea.

36. Buffalo Stance, Neneh Cherry - I could take it or leave it.

37. When I'm With You, Sheriff - For some reason, I think I remember this song. But then again, I don't.

38. Don't Rush Me, Taylor Dayne - The only rushing I did whenever Taylor ane came on the TV was to turn the channel.

39. Born To Be My Baby, Bon Jovi - Another great Bon Jovi tune.

40. Good Thing, Fine Young Cannibals - I like this one a wee bit less than She Drives Me Crazy, but it was still listenable.

41. The Lover In Me, Sheena Easton - She made a song in '89?

42. Bust A Move, Young M.C.
- I fought & fought & fought liking this one. I finally gave in. One of my favorite late 80's rap songs.

43. Once Bitten, Twice Shy, Great White - Such a fun song! When I was stationed in Mississippi & terribly homesick, this song helped me through the blues.

44. Batdance, Prince - Sorry, Prince, but Danny Elfman made the only decent Batman soundtrack.

45. Rock On, Michael Damian - Bleah! I hate, hate, HATE this song.

46. Real Love, Jody Watley - No thanks, Jody.

47. Love Shack, B-52's - This song brings back fond memories of my last summer at home. Tiiiiiin roof - rusted!

48. Every Little Step, Bobby Brown - Another infectious dance ditty.

49. Hangin' Tough, New Kids On The Block - Cripes! I could not stand those guys. My sister, on the other hand, loved, loved, LOOOOVED them. I knew then something wasn't right with her.

50. My Heart Can't Tell You No, Rod Stewart - I think I remember this one. Shows how much I cared for it.

51. So Alive, Love and Rockets - This was such a great song. I hadn't heard much Bauhaus (except for what my friend Brett exposed me to), so I wasn't familiar with Daniel Ash, but it had a great groove & I could dance to it. OK, just kidding on the dancing part.

52. You Got It (The Right Stuff), New Kids On The Block - Have you figured out yet just how much I loathed these guys?

53. Armageddon It, Def Leppard - Sorry T & Amy, but I detested this song. I like older Def Leppard. Everything that came out after Rick Savage lost his arm sounded alike.

54. Satisfied, Richard Marx - The return of the 'frullet!

55. Express Yourself, Madonna - You suck! How's that for expressing myself, Madonna?

56. I Like It, Dino - No, I don't.

57. Soldier Of Love, Donny Osmond - Donny Osmond?

58. Sowing The Seeds Of Love, Tears For Fears - I was never a big TFF fans, but I did like this & Head Over Heels a lot.

59. Cherish, Madonna - Please, Madonna, go "reinvent" yourself - somewhere far away from me.

60. When The Children Cry, White Lion - Ugh...whiney metal ballad - the worst kind.

61. 18 And Life, Skid Row - Depressing song, but, lemme tell you - Skid Row RAWKED in concert!

62. I Don't Want Your Love, Duran Duran - The poster children for 80's stylistic rock.

63. Second Chances, .38 Special - Why don't I remember this one? I liked .38 Special.

64. The Way You Love Me, Karyn White
- Another one for the "Huh?" list.

65. Funky Cold Medina, Tone Loc - Yet another fun 80's rap song that grew on me.

66. In Your Room, Bangles - I'm trying to remember this one, but all I can see is Susanna Hoffs...

67. Miss You Like Crazy, Natalie Cole - I missed this one, evidentally.

68. Love Song, Cure - I was just starting to get into the Cure when Disitegration came out (thanks again, Brett). This song, though, just didn't do much for me.

69. Secret Rendevous, Karyn White - Who the frick is Karyn White? And why is she on this list so many times?

70. Angel Eyes, Jeff Healey Band - I'd probably go to hell if I made any smart remarks against a blind blues guitarist, so, I'll pass.

71. Patience, Guns N' Roses - Here it is, Ladies & Gents - the one that made it cool for metal guitarists to pick up a Takaminie & strum it like a folkie. Thanks a lot guys.

72. Walk On Water, Eddie Money - At least it's not "Take Me Home Tonight."

73. Cover Girl, New Kids On The Block - Wow...there's a lot of suckage on this list.

74. Welcome To The Jungle, Guns N' Roses - Um...this came out in '87, I believe. Still one of the hardest metal songs ever made.

75. Shower Me With Your Love, Surface - I'd rather not.

76. Stand, R.E.M. - I just recently picked up "Green" & was suprised at how great a record it was. And Stand isn't even the best song on it.

77. Close My Eyes Forever, Lita Ford - Lita Ford - every metalhead's dream woman.

78. All This Time, Tiffany - Tiffany - every metalhead's worst nightmare.

79. After All, Cher and Peter Cetera - I don't remember this one. I must've blotted it out of my memory.

80. Roni, Bobby Brown - This one, too.

81. Love In An Elevator, Aerosmith - An awesome song from an awesome record!

82. Lay Your Hands On Me, Bon Jovi
- OK, Bon Jovi - leave some room for others to get on the list.

83. This Promise, When In Rome - The only song that I remember from them. A true classic one hit wonder.

84. What I Am, Edie Brickell and The New Bohemians - Ack! The Popeye song (what I yam is what I yam...)! I'd rather listen to just about any other song on this list. To this day, I despise this song.

85. I Remember Holding You, Boys Club - But I don't remember you, Boys Club.

86. Paradise City, Guns N' Roses - A hard driving, rocking song. I still can't resist bangin' my head when I hear this one.

87. I Wanna Have Some Fun, Samantha Fox - How in the world did she get a recording deal?

88. She Wants To Dance With Me, Rick Astley - The white Luther Vandross.

89. Dreamin', Vanessa Williams - Remember Vanessa Williams' "Dreamin'?" Neither do I.

90. It's No Crime, Babyface - Yet another one that slipped under my radar. I was probably busy thinking about Susanna Hoffs.

91. Poison, Alice Cooper - One of my favorite records of the late 80's. I saw him in '91. He was still putting on a great show.

92. This Time I Know It's For Real, Donna Summer
- Are you sure, Donna?

93. Smooth Criminal, Michael Jackson - Yes, Michael, you certainly are.

94. Heaven Help Me, Deon Estus - Who?

95. Rock Wit'cha, Bobby Brown - No thanks, Bobby. You scare me.

96. Thinking Of You, Sa-fire - I can't say that I'm doing the same, Sa-Fire.

97. What You Don't Know, Expose - In this case, ignorance is bliss.

98. Surrender To Me, Ann Wilson and Robin Zander - Nope, can't recall this one.

99. The End Of The Innocence, Don Henley - An appropriate song for the end of my time as a student.

100. Keep On Movin', Soul II Soul - Another one hit wonder that I liked. I don't think they did anything after that.