Tuesday, May 25, 2004

The Little Guy

We were going to wait a couple years before becoming parents. Best laid plans, I guess.

It happened Sunday, right on the sidewalk outside. We decided to take it inside, so that nothing would get hurt, as it's very delicate. T & I got a washcloth & heated it in the microwave & then wrapped the little guy up to keep it warm. It's still pretty small & isn't completely covered, so it gets cold easliy. Every time we'd open the washcloth, it'd start making noise. But with a little petting & attention, it would quiet down & relax. I think it's getting used to being handled.

The neighbors wanted to come see it. The Boy wanted to show his mom, but I told him that she didn't need to, as she's seen one before. I imagine she's seen quite a few, actually.

When we're not playing with it or petting it, we keep it in a shoebox with a heating pad underneath to keep it warm. I took it to work with me yesterday, because we'd planned on finding someone else who wanted it. The ladies at work ooo'd & aww'd over it when I took it out to check on it.

Since nobody wanted to take it, we decided to keep it until it gets a little bigger. T's going to run home after work to check on it. It gets lonely, you know (I can't take it everywhere - it'd get squished in my pants).

It'll be a sad day when I have to turn it loose into the world. It's been interesting watching & holding it; seeing it grow. But, I know it's for the best. After all, birds deserve to fly free.

Yes, T & I are the proud foster parents of a baby sparrow.

What did you think I was talking about?