Sunday, May 16, 2004

Jay & T's Excellent Adventure

OK, I had a gigantic outline made up & then realized that I'd still be sharing the adventures of our wedding & the drive out here by the time our 25th anniversary rolls around. Sssoooooo, I'm going to try to cut it down a bit. Maybe I'll share a few random things later, but for now, I give you (insert drumroll here) -

THE JIST OF IT!

Ta daa!

Flight out

The flight on out was pretty uneventful. It was The Boy's first flight, so that, coupled with the ex probably filling his head full of crap (& showing him "Airport" & "Alive" repeatedly), made him understandably nervous. But, after we took off (& I pried him off my arm) he loved it. His eyes kind of bugged out when we hit turbulence right after take-off (Palm Springs is windy most all of the time), but other than that, he was fine. We got to tour the cockpit & they presented The Boy with a "First Flight" certificate & a card signed by the crew. Very cool, Delta. The rest of the flight involved The Boy pointing out things on the ground & how the clouds look from above them rather than below.

We made it to Atlanta in one piece (albeit $8 lighter - $5 for a PB&J lunch & $3 for a can of chips?) &, after a slight detour (When asked where the tram was to the next terminal, we were told to take the escalator down & the train would be right there. What they neglected to tell us was that we'd have to make a right down one of the corridors to get to said escalator. When I need directions, people, I need them all.), made it to the next flight.

That flight was fine until we got over Arkansas, where it was raining. We couldn't see anything from our vantage point & I'm willing to bet the crew couldn't see much from the front of the plane either. No sooner had the captain announced our landing than we were on the ground, making a landing on a slick runway that ended in the sound of tires screeching. Not something you want to hear on a plane.

T was there waiting for us. It was so good to see her again, knowing that I wasn't seeing my girlfriend or fiancee now, but rather the woman who would be my wife in a couple days.

Waterbed

After that, we went to the tux shop, then to dinner & then out to T's parent's house to introduce everyone. Then, we dropped off Mom, my sister & The Boy at the motel & T & I went to the church to see how things were coming along. T's sister & another friend of her's were still setting up, moving chairs about & applying tule to the place. They'd spent more than half the day decorating & preparing food & still had more to do (Thanks Steph, Cindy & Brown - it looked - & tasted - wonderful!).

I returned to the motel & crawled into bed, only to be awakened by the snoring of someone who shall remain nameless for the time being. I was beat from the trip & all the running around, but the noise was keeping me awake. So, I did what anyone craving sleep would do -

I took my pillow & crawled into the bathtub.

Motel 8 has surprisingly comfortable bathtubs. After a while, though, it began to get a little less than comfortable (& I had this horrible fear of waking up & finding someone using the toilet right next to my head), so, back to the bed I went, this time donning my headsets & popping in a CD. I guess I should've found something a little less rawkus than a mix disc with the Black Crowes & the Replacements, but it was dark & I was tired. Setting the disc player on continuous loop, I drifted off to sleep.

To be continued...