Sunday, May 16, 2004

Jay & T's Excellent Adventure

OK, I had a gigantic outline made up & then realized that I'd still be sharing the adventures of our wedding & the drive out here by the time our 25th anniversary rolls around. Sssoooooo, I'm going to try to cut it down a bit. Maybe I'll share a few random things later, but for now, I give you (insert drumroll here) -


Ta daa!

Flight out

The flight on out was pretty uneventful. It was The Boy's first flight, so that, coupled with the ex probably filling his head full of crap (& showing him "Airport" & "Alive" repeatedly), made him understandably nervous. But, after we took off (& I pried him off my arm) he loved it. His eyes kind of bugged out when we hit turbulence right after take-off (Palm Springs is windy most all of the time), but other than that, he was fine. We got to tour the cockpit & they presented The Boy with a "First Flight" certificate & a card signed by the crew. Very cool, Delta. The rest of the flight involved The Boy pointing out things on the ground & how the clouds look from above them rather than below.

We made it to Atlanta in one piece (albeit $8 lighter - $5 for a PB&J lunch & $3 for a can of chips?) &, after a slight detour (When asked where the tram was to the next terminal, we were told to take the escalator down & the train would be right there. What they neglected to tell us was that we'd have to make a right down one of the corridors to get to said escalator. When I need directions, people, I need them all.), made it to the next flight.

That flight was fine until we got over Arkansas, where it was raining. We couldn't see anything from our vantage point & I'm willing to bet the crew couldn't see much from the front of the plane either. No sooner had the captain announced our landing than we were on the ground, making a landing on a slick runway that ended in the sound of tires screeching. Not something you want to hear on a plane.

T was there waiting for us. It was so good to see her again, knowing that I wasn't seeing my girlfriend or fiancee now, but rather the woman who would be my wife in a couple days.


After that, we went to the tux shop, then to dinner & then out to T's parent's house to introduce everyone. Then, we dropped off Mom, my sister & The Boy at the motel & T & I went to the church to see how things were coming along. T's sister & another friend of her's were still setting up, moving chairs about & applying tule to the place. They'd spent more than half the day decorating & preparing food & still had more to do (Thanks Steph, Cindy & Brown - it looked - & tasted - wonderful!).

I returned to the motel & crawled into bed, only to be awakened by the snoring of someone who shall remain nameless for the time being. I was beat from the trip & all the running around, but the noise was keeping me awake. So, I did what anyone craving sleep would do -

I took my pillow & crawled into the bathtub.

Motel 8 has surprisingly comfortable bathtubs. After a while, though, it began to get a little less than comfortable (& I had this horrible fear of waking up & finding someone using the toilet right next to my head), so, back to the bed I went, this time donning my headsets & popping in a CD. I guess I should've found something a little less rawkus than a mix disc with the Black Crowes & the Replacements, but it was dark & I was tired. Setting the disc player on continuous loop, I drifted off to sleep.

To be continued...